Soooo…I kind of went a little pumpkin crazy this weekend, but it’s not my fault!!! For some reason I was at the store picking up a few things and somehow a can of Libby’s pumpkin got into my basket, it was the strangest thing. So obviously I had to get it ;). It was a 29 oz. can and the pumpkin spice cake recipe I decided to try out only required 15 oz. so therefore, I had to find another way to use the other half of the can (hence the pumpkin frenzy continued in my mini pumpkin bundt cakes post)!
Pumpkin Spice Cake with Honey Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin-pie spice (or 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon ginger, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/8 teaspoon each allspice and cloves)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin puree
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin-pie spice.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, butter, and pumpkin puree until combined. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture, and mix gently until smoothTurn batter into prepared pan, and smooth top
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool cake 10 minutes in pan, then turn out of pan, and cool completely, right side up, on a rack
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 bar (8 ounces) regular (or reduced-fat) cream cheese, very soft
- 1/4 cup honey
- Make Honey Frosting: In a medium bowl, whisk butter, cream cheese, and honey until smooth
- Spread top of cooled cake with honey frosting. Cut cake into squares to serve
Time to make the frosting!
All sliced up and looking good 😉