As soon as I saw this recipe, I knew Kamil would like it and I had to make it. Sprinkle Bakes has been a favorite food blog of mine for a while now and I must say, she whipped up an amazing recipe for french toast!
Chocolate French Toast
- 1 load day old challah bread
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 5 large eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate chopped, or semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, dissolve cocoa powder in hot water. Whisk until blended; set aside
- In shallow pan (such as a 1 1/4 quart baking dish) whisk together eggs, cream, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. Add chocolate cocoa mixture; whisk again until incorporated
- Melt a small piece of butter in a 12″ non-stick pan over medium high heat. Dip 2 bread pieces in egg mixture (turning if necessary) and place in pan. Turn pieces after about 2-3 minutes and cover one piece with chopped chocolate or chips. Place the other piece of bread on top of the chocolate covered piece, creating a sandwich. Heat until chocolate has melted. Repeat process with remaining pieces. Serve with butter flavored pancake syrup
I used pieces of a Hershey’s milk chocolate bar instead of chocolate chips. While the chocolate was melting, I was thinking it would taste really good with some Nutella too!